You’ve stopped drinking Sarah, why? Were you/are you an alcoholic?
Well, no I don’t think I was an alcoholic but it depends what you google to look up the definitions of casual drinking, alcohol abuse or alcoholism. If you go by UK guidelines I was drinking (on average) less than the 14 units per week which put me firmly in the low risk category. I’d have considered myself to be a casual drinker, a G and T on a Thursday night, a few glasses of wine on a Friday night and a couple on a Saturday night. Several dry weeks at a time and then a binge every now and again. I hate the term binge… but that’s what it was. A night out with the girls where the intention was to enjoy some fizz or a few cocktails but the reality was always drinking far too much and feeling rubbish the next day. So whilst I didn’t fit into the government guidelines of drinking too much and I never had any of the following troubles associated with alcoholism…
- Drinking alone and in secrecy
- Losing interest in other activities that were once enjoyable
- Alcohol cravings
- Making drinking a priority over responsibilities, such as employment and family
- Alcohol withdrawal symptoms
- Extreme mood swings and irritability
- Having a drink first thing in the morning
- Continuing to drink, despite health, financial and family problems
I did have…
- An inability to stop or control the amount of alcohol that was consumed after I had drunk 2 glasses of fizz on a night out
- Feelings of guilt and shame associated with drinking
Both of these issues I wanted to put a stop to. Deep down I know that I struggle to say “No” to a third drink after the second one so if I don’t drink at all that makes my life so much easier. The feelings of guilt and shame are gone because I am not dealing with trying to moderate how much I drink!
I really don’t care if people think that I have stopped drinking because I was an alcoholic (there’s no shame in that), people will judge you however they find you and that’s their business not mine!
Would you like some support and kindness for your Alcohol Free/Drink Less next steps – Click here for details of my 1:1 coaching programme – I’ve been where you are and know how hard it can be